Thursday, 13 October 2011

HOW TO REMOVE THE ATTRIBUTION WIDGET


I don't know about you, but I find it really annoying to have that 'Powered by Blogger' attribution widget at the bottom of my blogs. As I use my own customised backgrounds, I feel it totally spoils the look - and is also totally unecessary, as anyone can see it's a Blogger blog - and therefore it's obvious it's powered by Blogger.

So here is how to remove the widget.

1. Go to Design > Page Elements view > Edit HTML. Before you do anything, download a copy of your blog (you should always do this before experimenting... just in case...)


2. Type CTRL + F on your keyboard to bring up the 'Find' box (command + F if using a Mac, I believe) and then type the word attribution into that box. The word will highlight in green in your coding, and the html will automatically have scrolled down to the right place.


3. As shown, you need to change the wording in two places. Where you see showaddelement='no', you need to change the 'no' to a 'yes'. And where you see locked='true', you need to change this statement to 'false'. Then click Save Template.


As you can see, I have changed these two statements (and highlighted them in pink to make them easier for you to see) and then I saved the template.


4. Go back to Page Elements view and you will now see a widget at the bottom of your blog, titled Attribution.


5. Click on Edit - this brings up the widget box. You can now click the blue Remove button to delete this widget from your blog.

Just to reassure you - you aren't contravening any copyrights by doing this, as all the information is repeated in the body of the html. So it's still there, but not in the middle of your footer!



A nice easy tweak, but it really improves the appearance - especially if you have a really spiffy background!
your photo name

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Susie,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Your blogs are amazing! What a wealth of info (I desperately need) I am your newest followers.
    Can you tell me why my pics are so far apart? Even when I try to fix it? Thanks,Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna - when you write your posts, instead of staying in Compose view, try clicking on the HTML view tab instead. You'll see where there is too much spacing, so try deleting or backspacing to close up the spaces between your text and your pix. As you are putting in extra large pix, Blogger sometimes automatically gives you larger spaces as well (very irritating) so you have to go in and edit manually.

    My other suggestion is that you try LiveWriter (look in Labels for my posts on this) as the spacing is foolproof! It does take a little getting used to, but is well worth persevering with (and has lovely effects too).

    Hope this helsp, and do let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorials and info, thanks! New to your blog and I'm really enjoying all the tips and tutorials. Hope you'll continue to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I was able to help! Yes, of course I'll continue to share. Try and stop me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It worked like a charm, thanks again for the help you provide to those of us who are still struggling through the learning curve. Your blog has been such a wonderful help! I also have to say; for those of us who are visual, like myself, having such clear pictures accompanying each step is such great reassurance that I am following your directions precisely. Thanks for a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's great to be appreciated, and also great to know the instructions ARE as clear as I've been hoping they are. I too am useless at following text instructions - I'd rather have a picture any day, lol.

      Glad to help, and do let me know if you need a particular tutorial.

      BAD NEWS: now Blogger's put in the nested comments, my numbered comments tutorial no longer works. I'm still trying to figure out how to tweak it, and when I do, I'll post a new tutorial.

      Bless you for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  6. THANKS! THANKS! IT WORKED!!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to receive comments!

But please note - I DO check for spam, and I moderate all comments - any spam is deleted at source.