Tuesday, 22 June 2010

THE NEW DESIGN TEMPLATE - WIDGET TROUBLE?


Are you having trouble with your customised widgets?

Anne at El Milagro Studio emailed me, and sent me this link from Rita at Coffee Cup, highlighting a new problem with Blogger's messing around with all the templates since forcibly introducing the new Design Template.


 Here's how to solve your problem:

Auto widget 
(where the header is put in automatically by Blogger, eg: Labels, Followers, Blog Archive)

I went to my Blade Rubber blog and deleted the Labels widget. I then reinstalled it as a new widget, and moved it under my fancy Labels header (entered as a Picture). Of course it showed another Labels header in the title section - I don't want two, so I deleted it then tried to Save.

I didn't get the following error message: Required field must not be blank - so just went ahead and Saved it. It's fine!

However:  you may get the error message (I did for my Visitors widget - at the bottom of my 1stFloorFlat blog). In that case, just type in the code (shown below) and it works perfectly!

Personalised widget 
(html widget where you can add your own title - or not - like grab buttons, scrolling marquees, where you may have a fancy header entered as a Picture, etc)

I removed the header from my own grab button - and immediately Blogger will not allow it - Blogger says you have to have a title, and showed this error message: Required field must not be blank
Here's how to make an invisible one!

Copy and paste this code:
<h2></h2> 

Put it in the header section of your widgets (worked out by Rita at CoffeeCup) - and it worked like a charm!

Problem solved. Thanks Rita!
post signature
your photo name

4 comments:

  1. Oh thanks so much for the heads up Susie and sharing Rita's fix! I found this last night as I did some work on my test blog and did a little freak out but I just knew someone, somewhere would find a work around. I love you guys!
    Cheers
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your tip.It worked very well =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susie,

    Thank goodness someone figured this out! I didn't encounter the problem til last night when I went to put in a new "html" widget and it insisted that I fill in the Title portion. On the "picture" widget it doesn't give you the error message..I think that's why I didn't notice this right away because I use so many Picture widgets.

    Thanks so much for keeping us from losing our minds over these "entertaining changes from Blogger". What will they come up with next!? haha

    Have a wonderful day,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME!
    Thank you for sharing your brilliance!!
    Found you through Redhead Riter...
    Following! ;D

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to receive comments!

But please note - I DO check for spam, and I moderate all comments - any spam is deleted at source.